The Fallen of Ewhurst and Ellen's Green, Surrey  
Home Site Map

  Reflections 

Index:

 

   

  Ewhurst War Memorial Observations

  • 51 men are named on the Ewhurst War Memorial; the First World War lasted for 51 months.

  • The Memorial details 5 sets of brothers (19.6% of the men named) see Brothers in Arms.

  • 3 names were added after the commissioning of the War Memorial.

  • The Memorial cost £250, raised by public subscription

  • The Memorial was unveiled in 1920.

 


  The Ewhurst Boy Scouts  

Thomas Duffield. Born 1897. Pte 21st Bn West Yorkshire Regiment. Enlisted in Sept 1914 under age. Died of Wounds near Arras, 10/12/1917, aged 21 Lionel Bertram Walker, born 1894, 22nd Bn Royal Fusiliers, Killed in Action on the Somme, 17/02/1917, aged 22 Charlie Russell, born 1895. Served & returned Rev Archibald Ewart Clark-Kennedy, Ewhurst rector & Scout Master James Eli Hamshire, born 1900, 5th Bn East Surrey Regiment, survived. Roberts Victor Warrington, born 1900, served & returned Reginald John Parkes, born 1900, served & returned Thomas Henry Sugden, born 1883, Assistant Scoutmaster & layreader Keith Abraham Girling, born1898 Francis Joseph Parkes, born 1897 unknown Robert Cecil Walker, born 1900, 53rd Bn Rifle Brigade, survived Arthur Stanley Walker, born 1901 Arthur Guy Parkes, born 1901 (too young for service) William George Warrington, born 1901 (too young for service) Walter Dawes Denyer, born 1902 (too young for service) William John Cooper, born 1899 F Potter (but possibly Henry Leslie Potter ?)  
(place mouse over faces for details)

This photograph encapsulates the Edwardian youth of Ewhurst that was to mature into the men who went away to serve their country in the First World War. It was gifted to the Ewhurst History Society by Walter Stemp, along with careful annotations as to the boys in the picture. The Boy Scout Movement had been started in the UK by Baden-Powell in August 1907. Walter (a member of the Ewhurst Scouts) notes that the Ewhurst own scout troop was one of the very first to start, being formed by Rev Archibald Ewart Clark-Kennedy (rector of St Peter & St Paul, Ewhurst, 1898-1913). The Boy Scouts was initially open to boys aged between 11 and 18, who subsequently became the prime age group for the conflict that overtook Europe in 1914.

In his notes, Walter recalled that the first Scout Jamboree was held at Crystal Palace in the summer of 1909. 11,000 Scouts attended, including the Ewhurst Troop. The regimental ban of The Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment were in attendance, and Walter clearly remembered meeting a man from Ewhurst at the event, 'Bandsman Rose', no doubt Pte William Rose . He notes that this photograph was taken around 1912 on a weekend camp, which he was unable to attend having started work at the age of 15.

 

  Brothers in Arms

The Ewhurst & Ellen's Green War Memorials, as with many village First World War memorials, display several men with the same surname, likely to be members of the same family. Of the 51 men commemorated, the village lost five sets of brothers, the impact of which upon their families must have been devastating.

Frederick William Killick & Annie Killick, of Coneyhurst Farm Cottage lost their two sons, Pte Albert Killick & Pte Frederick William Killlick, (brothers of Nelly Killick (b1891) and Elizabeth A Killick (b1900). The brothers served together in 1st Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment and were the first set brothers of the village to be lost, Frederick being killed in action on 03/07/1916, aged 22 and Albert being killed in action on 03/11/1916, aged 20.

James & Ann Dedman, of Winterfold Cottage, Albury Heath and formerly of Horseblock Hollow, (Bar Hatch Lane) lost two of their sons, Sgt James George Dedman and L/Cpl Frank William John Dedman (brothers of Rose A, Mary, Lucy (b1889) and Richard David (b1898)). The brothers enlisted at the same time, in September 1914, but served with different battalions of The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment. Frank, with the 6th Bn, was killed in action on 05/12/1916 and James, with the 7th Bn, died of his wounds whilst a Prisoner of War on 28/08/1917.

George & Eliza Jenkins, of Furzen Lane, in Ellen's Green lost two of their sons, Pte Alfred Jenkins and L/Cpl Frank Jenkins (brothers of George (b1878), Edith (b1888), Annie (b1890) and Albert (b1900)). The brothers both died of wounds in France in 1918. Frank, who served with  91st Field Company, Royal Engineers died on 28/03/18, aged 24 and Alfred, who served with 16th (Sussex Yeomanry) Bn, Royal Sussex Regiment, died six months later on 29/9/18, aged 33.

Benjamin & Barbara Sellings, of Mascalls lost two of their sons, Pte Frank Sellings and Pte Albert Sellings (brothers of Alice (b abt 1896), Dora May (b1904), Harold (b1904) and Walter Edwin (b 1907)). Albert mis-represented his age on enlistment in 1915 and served with the Royal Engineers on Home Service until his discharge in 1916 due to being underaged. He died of illness in Ewhurst on 13/05/1917. Frank, a Reserve soldier before the war, served with 1st Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, was wounded in action at the Battle of Loos in 1915, and subsequently died of his wounds on 04/10/1919.

Christopher & Elizabeth Whitty, of Munday's Hill, Ewhurst, lost two of their sons, Pte Nelson Herbert Whitty and L/Cpl Edward Ernest Whitty (brothers of Arthur Edward (born 1868) and Amelia Jane (born 1873)). Edward, serving with 7th Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) but attached to the 178th (Tunnelling) Company, Royal Engineers, was killed in action in France on 20/10/1915, aged 42, when a German mine detonated near Fricourt. His brother Nelson was killed in action on 10/12/1917, aged 36, whilst serving with 12th (West Somerset Yeomanry) Bn, Somerset Light Infantry at Jerusalem.

There are two men with the surname of Tidy commemorated on the Ewhurst War Memorial who are distantly related,  Pte Alfred James Tidy, 2nd Bn East Surrey Regiment, was killed in action near Ypres on 14/02/1915, aged 46 and Able Seaman Oliver Tidy, lost at sea when HMS 'Formidable' was torpedoed and sank in the English Channel on 01/01/1915. Alfred was the son of Harriet & William Tidy, and husband of Ethel Tidy, of 2 Montague Cottages, Ewhurst. Oliver was the only son of James & Rita Phylis Tidy, of Plough Farm, Ewhurst.

AEB Feb 2010


  90th Anniversary of the Battle of Loos 

In September 2005, the battlefields of Northern France once again became the focus of media attention. The 25th marked the ninetieth anniversary of the opening of the Battle of Loos, in the flat farmland to the north of Arras punctuated by the spoil heaps created by the area's coal mining industry. For Ewhurst and Ellen's Green it also marked the day on which the parish lost four men, the largest loss on any single day during the First World War.  They were:

Captain Raymond Heath, 2nd Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment
L/Cpl William Haffenden, 8th Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment
Private Joseph Parsons, 
1st Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment
Private Victor Lawrence,
1st Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment

Loos was coordinated with French attacks to the south at Vimy Ridge, near Arras, and at Champagne. The British offensive started with a four day barrage in which 250,000 shells were fired. The British held a strong numerical advantage, committing 6 divisions to the attack on a six and a half mile front. The attack began at 5.50 am with the release of 140 tons of chlorine gas from 5,100 cylinders which had been placed in the British front line trenches. This was to be the first use of poisonous gas by the British after the Germans had first used it several months earlier at Ypres. So secret was its usage that it was referred to as "the appliance" to conceal the British intention. The weather was unfavourable for its use with very light and variable winds, and it was of negligible effect, in some cases causing casualties amongst the British troops. At 6.30am the attack commenced proper, with the British infantry, 75,000 strong, leaving their trenches and advancing across no mans land.

Initially good advances were made, especially to the south of the line near Loos. Captain Raymond Heath and members of the 2nd Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, acting as the second wave made progress into the German second line near Cite St Elie before being forced out again towards the end of the day. The 2nd Battalion Queens lost 11 officers and 261 men . At the very north of the line, near the village of Givenchy, Privates Joseph Parsons and Victor Lawrence of 1st Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment attacked as part of a diversionary action for the main action occurring to the south of the Le Bassee Canal, initially reaching the German third line and then being forced back due to a lack of effective hand grenades. The 1st Battalion Queens lost 317 men of whom 9 were officers.

The advantages of the first day became nullified by the shortage of supplies to the front line and the inability of the reserve troops, who had  been held a distance back, to move up to engage. The day drew to a close and on the 26th the attack was renewed. This time the element of surprise was denied the British, and as the reserve troops moved into the attack in the area of Bois Hugo, the defence that had been constructed by the Germans through the night brought down a withering fire from the Hulluch line. One notable casualty on this day was Rudyard Kipling's son John, who was lost with no known grave until recently, when research indicated that the search that had tormented his parents might have been solved. Renewed investigation, however, has once again thrown this into doubt (full story).

Although reported as Killed in Action on the 25th September, it is likely that our fourth Ewhurst man, L/Cpl William Haffenden of the 8th Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, actually fell on the 26th, as this was the day on which the  8th Bn, fresh from England with the 72nd Brigade of the 24th Division, actually went into action in the vicinity of Bois Hugo and the Chalk Pits, having never actually seen the front line before. The battalion lost 439 men of whom 12 were officers.

The line stagnated, and offensive actions were ceased on the 28th September.  The next few weeks saw a number of more localised actions, in which another Ewhurst man, Sergeant Samuel Randall of the Army Veterinary Corps, attached Royal Field Artillery was to fall on the 1st October.  The attack was renewed on the 13th October, but poor weather effectively brought the Battle of Loos to a close on 15th October 1915. British casualties over the battle amounted to over 50,000 men, of whom 7,766 were killed, the Germans suffering approximately 25,000 casualties.

Most of the British casualties were to remain unidentified on the battlefield.  The missing are remembered on the Loos Memorial at Dud Corner Cemetery, on the site of the Loos Road Redoubt.


The Loos Memorial at Dud Corner Cemetery

Other Ewhurst men also known to have been in action at Loos were:
Second Lieutenant RC Joynson-Hicks, 1st Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, Wounded in Action
Private Albert Victor Baker, 1st Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, Wounded in Action
Private Thomas  William Denyer, 1st Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment
Private Albert Killick
, 1st Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment
Private Frank Sellings
,  1st Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, Wounded in Action
Private William Thompson, 8th Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, Wounded in Action
Acting Corporal Harvey Field, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, Wounded in Action
Private Frank Dedman ,6th Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment
Private William Baker, 6th Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, Wounded in Action

Other Ewhurst men thought to have been in action at Loos were:
Private Harry Kilhams
, 8th Bn The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment
Private Albert Buck
, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment
L/Cpl Frank Jenkins
, 91st Field Company, Royal Engineers

The ninetieth anniversary of the opening of this battle, and a day which brought such tragic loss to the parish of Ewhurst and Ellen's Green, was marked by a minute of silence during the Sunday service in the village church of St Peter and St Paul.

For more information on the Battle of Loos, follow this link.

Top of Page

AEB 5/07/2005

 


  90th Anniversary of the Battle of the Somme 

1st July 2006 marks the ninetieth anniversary of the commencement of  Battle of the Somme, widely remembered as the darkest day in the history of the British Army.

Initially conceived to relieve the pressure of German attacks on the French army to the south of the line at Verdun,  the battle took place along an extended section of rolling chalk hills and plateaus to the north of the River Somme, the line stretching to the east of the town of Albert before crossing the tributary of the Somme, the River Ancre, and continuing north. The terrain consisted of small agricultural settlements and isolated woods, whose names were soon to become individually as infamous as the Somme itself. The initial First of July plan was for a large frontage attack, preceded by extensive artillery preparation, involving 120,000 troops allocated distant objectives. In reality the artillery preparation failed to cut the barbed wire defences of the German line, or eliminate the defenders in their well prepared subterranean shelters.

As the watches of the men in the first waves ticked to 7.30am, the artillery barrage moved to the German second line in an attempt to hinder the front line being reinforced, and a deadly race began between the British troops, who had been briefed to proceed at a controlled pace in the hope of creating an orderly advance, and the German defenders manning their damaged defences and machine guns. The race was won in most locations along the front by the defenders, and the machine guns began to cut down the attackers. By the end of the day, tragically 60,000 of the attackers had become casualties, 20,000 of whom were killed. The wounded, in many cases, were to remain on the battlefield for days.

But the battle had only just begun, and was to continue for the next three months, a series of actions centred on spurs or hills, strongpoints, woods or the scattered hamlets that were gradually ground to dust by the fighting. In November the weather caused the fighting to move away from the offensive. When, on the 18th November 1916, the Battle of the Somme was officially closed 419,654 Commonwealth, 204,253 French and  approximately 600,000 German casualties had been incurred. Many of the men remained in unknown graves on the battlefields, and were subsequently remembered on the memorials to the Missing, such as the Thiepval Memorial, which commemorates 73,367 British & Commonwealth men.

The Battle of the Somme involved many of the men serving from Ewhurst and Ellen's Green.  On the 1st July 1916, the 7th Battalion The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) were in action as a part of 55th Brigade, 18th Division, near the village of Montauban. In their ranks were Private John Scammell, Private Charles Tudor and Sergeant James Dedman. The battalion was to suffer 532 casualties during the first day, although all of the Ewhurst men survived. The battalion remained in the battle until mid July, when it was withdrawn to recover from its losses. It returned to the battle in September, and Private John Scammell was killed in action on 18th November, the last official day of the battle, on the hills above the River Ancre. He is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing.

Near Poizieres, on the 23rd July 1916, the 2nd Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps attacked a German trench system to the north west of High Wood called the Switch Line. Leading the battalion's A Company was 19 year old Captain Evelyn Webb, of Malquoits (now Cornhill Manor) in Ewhurst. During the night attack, the battalion was subjected to heavy machine gun fire from the left flank, and suffered heavy casualties, including Captain Webb, who was last seen leading a group of men against a machine gun position. His body was not recovered from the battlefield, and he is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial.

Also remembered on the Thiepval Memorial is Private Albert Killick, of Coneyhurst Farm Cottage, who was killed in action whilst serving with the 1st Battalion The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) during an attack near Guillemont , on 3rd November 1916, whilst attacking German positions known as Baritska Trench.

 
 


The Summer of 1914

In the latter part of the summer of 1914 the eyes in Europe were turned to the events unfolding as a result of the assassination, on 28th June, of the Archduke Frantz Ferdinand, the heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne in Sarajevo by Serbian activists. Ultimatums lead to mobilisation, and gradually Europe was drawn into armed conflict, first Russia, then France and finally Britain, on the 4th August, as a result of Germany's advance through neutral Belgium and the low lands towards France. The British Expeditionary Force were dispatched to mainland Europe, but it was realised that the demand for men far exceeded the existing establishment of the professional British Army. Reserves and Territorial units were mobilised, and on 7th August Lord Kitchener, the war minister, appealed for volunteers with whom to create New Armies. His campaign asked for men aged between 18 and 30. The campaign saw 33,000 men a day joining up, and at the end of August the age limit was raised to 35. By mid September 500,000 men had volunteered for service.

In Ewhurst, as with so many villages across the United Kingdom, the call was answered with patriotic enthusiasm. A recruitment station was set up in the village for some men to enlist at, their documentation being completed by Mr Beadle (described as a pensioner, presumably formerly a military man) and their attestation, which required a Justice of the Peace, being taken by Arthur Raymond Heath of North Breache Manor (and father of Capt Raymond Heath).

Other men from the village were driven to Guildford to enlist from nearby Cranleigh, and the Surrey Advertiser of the time included lists, on a weekly basis, of local men serving with "the colours". Mr

Many of the Ewhurst men enlisted in the local regiment, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, who had their depot at Stoughton Barracks in Guildford. The Surrey History Centre holds the records of the regiment, including the enlistment book, into which new recruits details were entered as they were taken onto strength. The book makes interesting reading and illuminates the way in which in these early days of the war, the Ewhurst men joined up together. The G prefixes to their regimental service numbers indicates that they were recruited to Kitchener's New Armies, an S prefix indicates that the man was a member of the regiment's Reserves.

Died due to service

Name

Date of Attestation

Age

Number

Battalion

Albert Killick

31st Aug 14

19

G/1275

1st

Victor Lawrence

1st Sept 14

19

G/1278

1st

William Baker 4th Sept 14 27 G/1280 6th

Arthur Alfred Gill

31st Aug 14

25

G/1284

3rd

Joseph Parsons

2nd Sept 14

22

G/1285

1st

Frank Dedman

1st Sept 14

19

G/1286

6th

Albert Victor Baker

    G/1291 1st

James Dedman

31st Aug 14

25

G/1292

7th

Thomas Denyer

31st Aug 14

25

G/1293

1st

Harry Kilhams

31st Aug 14

21

G/1296

8th

Edward Whitty

   

S/526

7th

George Eldridge

5th Sept 14

33

S/528

2nd

William Haffenden

7th Sept 14

21

G/2286

8th

Top of Page

AEB 8/8/05


Prisoners of War

During the First World War  7,335 officers and 174,491 other ranks of the British Army were captured by the enemy, including a number of men from Ewhurst were taken prisoner of war. In the early years, very little information was received as to the fate of men who were posted missing, presumed taken prisoner. On 15th May 1915 the Surrey Advertiser included an article naming 450 men of the Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment who were captive. The Regiment started a book to list the details of the men, entries finally closing when each man returned home or was reported to have died. This book is now held in the Regimental Archive at the Surrey History Centre.

From investigation of the Ewhurst Roll of Honour, it is apparent that the following men were at some stage held captive by enemy forces:

Pte Arthur Childs,
1st Bn Queen's (RWSR), believed to have been captured prior to May 1915, held at Gottingen, survived.
Pte William Rose,

1st Bn Queen's (RWSR), believed to have been captured prior to February 1915, held at Gustrow, returned to Ewhurst but died 10/10/1921 of illness incurred as a PoW.
Sgt James Dedman,

7th Bn Queen's (RWSR), captured wounded on the Somme between 24-27/02/1917, died of wounds 28/08/1917
Pte Charles Henry Tudor,

7th Bn Queen's (RWSR), believed captured wounded on the Somme, February 1917, died of wounds 25/04/17
 Captain William Ralph Frecheville
,
 Royal Engineers, captured and executed by Bolshevist forces near Rostov-on-Don in Russia on 09/01/1920 whilst serving as a member of the British Forces in Russia.

Top of Page

AEB 13/09/05


War Memoirs of Walter Stemp

Walter Stemp was born in Ewhurst on 1st June 1897, the son of Thomas and Mary Stemp (nee Ansell). He was the youngest of four sons and a daughter, George (b 1890), Job (b 1894), Reuben (b 1889) and Margaret (b 1892). The family lived at The Wicket Gate at Ewhurst Green. Having been educated at Ewhurst school, which he left at the age of 14, Walter was employed as a gardener at 'Heathside', 'Woolpits' and 'Mapledrakes' before the commencement of the First World War. Walter's cousin on his father's side of the family was Albert Stemp, who also grew up on Ewhurst Green.

Walter's elder brothers were already serving with the forces, George in the Royal Navy, Job in the Hampshire Regiment and Reuben in the Norfolk Regiment when, on the 4th August 1915, Walter enlisted in the Royal Field Artillery at Scotland Yard with Charles Bone. The men's service numbers were concurrent and they were to serve together with 183rd Howitzer Brigade. The 183rd was raised in Hampstead in August 1915 and reached its full compliment of  815 men in less than a month. Walter served with 'C' Sub Section, 'D' Battery of 183rd How. Bde., part of 41st Division. The men of his unit are pictured below in 1915.

Following training at Aldershot, the Brigade departed for active service in France. Walter was sent overseas as a signaller and arrived in  Havre on 3rd May 1916. He initially served at Ploegstreet, to the south of the Ypres Salient and then in the Battle of the Somme in July 1916. Walter contracted trench fever in October 1916, and was returned to England for treatment, remaining in hospital for 6 months.  Having served on home duties at Command Depot in Ripon in April 1917, followed by the signal school in Swanage, Walter returned overseas in December 1917.

Writing in the Ewhurst Parish Magazine in later life, Walter described his experiences of the German Spring Offensive of 1918:

"I have a vivid memory of The Retreat in 1918 on the Amiens front. 21st March - zero hour - and the opening barrage, then the silence as Jerry attacked and the guns were silent."

Serving with 183rd Brigade Royal Field Artillery, from 8th August 1918 Walter was attached initially to the Australians, then Canadians and finally a Scottish Brigade (with the 189th Brigade) before he was wounded by shrapnel in both feet on 15th October 1918 near Cambrai.  Evacuated to England, Walter was in hospital in Cheltenham where he underwent several operations before discharge in March 1919.

Walter wrote in 1985 of his recollections of the last month of the First World War:

"A day towards the end of October 1918, four of us were in our telephone dug-out in a railway cutting near Denain (Cambrai). A whizz-bang (a high velocity shell) arrived all to ourselves. Two of us were wounded; the other two unhurt. Passing through dressing stations, hospital ship and train, I found myself on the veranda of the dining room of Cheltenham Racecourse as this had been commandeered as a military hospital.

On November 8th, a visit by the surgeon brought the verdict, " I'm afraid I may have to amputate, but will give you a few more day's grace". Rumours of a cease-fire were rife, when on the 11th this came about, everyone went mad.

The veranda where I lay had a glass front and the view was over the race-course, where German prisoners were doing maintenance work. Our lads made for these groups and handed out cigarettes and chocolate, fraternising, glad that the slaughter was over.

In the afternoon transport of every kind was laid on for the patients, and they were taken to the town. The majority had been convalescent, and in the evening there were only two of us left in the ward: a jock of the Black Watch, shot through the jaw and unable to eat, drink or shout for joy, and myself with one leg strung up with ligature and the other on a splint.

However, this the end of the slaughter on both sides, was the tonic needed for my recovery. Thanks to this and the splendid nursing, I was discharged from Hospital, still walking on my own two feet (the leg did eventually need amputation later, November 1939).

One vivid memory remains: one of the VADs, although off-duty, came back to stay with us until some of the staff and patients returned. She had quite recently lost her fiancée, and didn't feel in the mood to celebrate."  

Walter was discharged from the army on 29th March 1919. He returned to Ewhurst, but was unable to work for a year. He eventually entered employ at 'Firethorn' (now Campions), in Plough Lane, where he remained until 1962, and was captain of the Ewhurst bell ringers and a member of the Parochial Church Council. He was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal for his service.

With the first anniversary of the Armistice in November of 1919, Walter witnessed the act of remembrance in Ewhurst:

"The hooters at Swallow Tiles and Elliott's Timber Yard gave the signal, everything and everybody stopped for two minutes in silent tribute to the fallen. The number of volunteers from Ewhurst and Ellen's Green was 'second to none'. The memorials show the price they paid."

In 1982, shortly after the end of the Falklands War, Walter wrote briefly of his association with the poppies of Flanders that form the centrepiece of Remembrance Sunday, base on his experience in 1916:

"between Messines and Armentieres, dawn in late June. I was one of a detail for duty at Observation Post to check zero target of battery. Some part of the way from the gun line to the observation post was once farm land, now derelict and pock-marked with shell holes, poppies and mag weed were prolific. This no man's land had to be traversed before entering the communication trench to the front line. During the night in extended order, relief rations, wiring parties, and stretcher bearers crossing this waste crushed these flowers and the acrid scent will never be forgotten."

Walter Stemp wrote regularly about his memories of bygone Ewhurst in the Parish magazine in the 70s and 80s. He passed away in 1993, aged 96. All of Walter's brothers survived the war and their details can be found at Parish Men Who Served and Returned, his cousin,  Albert Stemp, failed to return.

Top of Page

AEB 16/09/05
Based on articles kindly supplied by the Ewhurst History Society


Further Casualties with Ewhurst Connections

In addition to the 51 men named on the Ewhurst and Ellen's Green memorials, a further 7 men are included in the records of Soldiers Killed in the Great War  and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission with some connection to Ewhurst in Surrey. They are :

Arthur Sydney BAIRD
Rifleman, 555155
1st/16th Bn London Regiment
(Queens' Westminster Rifles)
Born Lambeth 1885, son of Emily Baird. Husband of Florence Mary Baird (nee Choate, married Dec 1912) of 'Ambleside', Ewhurst, Guildford, Surrey. Killed in Action 14/08/1917, aged 32. No known grave but commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium.
Leonard Hugh BERRY
Private, 42429
13th Bn Essex Regiment Born Holloway, 1880. Son of Theophilus & Rosetta Berry, husband of Marjorie Ann Berry (nee Kennett b1883, married 1904), of "Thrums," Cranleigh Road, Ewhurst, Guildford.  Father of Marjorie (b1908) & Kathleen Berry (b1909). 1911, living in Merton, Nr Croydon, occupation, bookkeeper. Enlisted Croydon, resident of Thornton Heath. Formerly 265863 Norfolk Regiment, Died of Wounds, 03/02/1918, aged 32. Buried in METZ-EN-COUTURE COMMUNAL CEMETERY BRITISH EXTENSION (II. G. 14.)
Benjamin William BUSS
Lance Bombardier, 42135
197th Siege Battery,
Royal Garrison Artillery
Born in Tismans Common, Rudgwick in 1892, the son of Christopher & Olive Alice Buss and brother of Jack Buss (b1894), Albert Frank Buss (b1896), Jennie Olive Buss (b1898) and George Victor Buss (b1899) . In 1901 the family were living in Coophurst, Ewhurst, where Christopher was a farmer. Benjamin enlisted in Guildford. He died in hospital near Genoa in Italy, whilst on active service and is buried in the Staglieno Cemetery, Genoa, Italy. He is remembered on the Okewood Hill Village War Memorial, Abinger Village War Memorial and Forest Green Village War Memorial Surrey. He was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. (source 1901C, CWGC, Free BDM, Medal Record Cards, Mr Victor Gould)
Alfred EDWARDS
Private, 4321
1st Bn Welsh Guards Born in Ewhurst, 1882. Son of Issaac & Jane Edwards.
1891 Census, 'Tilhurst Cottage', Ewhurst Green.
1901 Census, a bakers assistant at 226 Portland Road, Croydon.
Enlisted in Horsham. Formerly 2366 of the Household Battalion. Killed in Action, 17/09/1918. Buried in MOEUVRES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION (I.D.28) near Cambrai, France.
Harry  Edward L MARCHANT
Private, 82360
Machine Gun Corps Born in Ewhurst, June 1896. Son of Thomas & Louisa  Marchant.
1901 Census, living at 8 Thakeham Street, Thakeham, Sussex.
Enlisted Effingham (Guildford). Formerly 24991 of the East Surrey Regiment. Died of Wounds, 06/12/1917. Buried in
MENDINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY (III.BB.8), near Poperinge, Belgium.
George Arthur PARTRIDGE
Driver 2/921

4th Howitzer Battery,
New Zealand Field Artillery
Born Ewhurst 1873. Son of George Bryan & Mary Ann Partridge, of Hill House Farm, Ewhurst. Emigrated to New Zealand, served with the NZ Mounted Rifles in the Boer War, and then re-enlisted for the First World War. Husband of Elizabeth Ann, of 281 Featherston St, Palmerston North, New Zealand. Died of wounds received whilst away from the front line on 04/07/1917, aged 44, at the 2nd Australian Casualty Clearing Station. Buried in TROIS ARBRES CEMETERY, STEENWERCK (I.R.34) France.

(picture kindly supplied by Stephen Partridge)

Mark SMITH
L/Corporal, 33350
1st Bn Bedfordshire Regt Born Lambeth. Thought to have been born in 1878, and the son of Henry & Elizabeth Smith (1891 Census).
Formerly TS/2191 of the Army Service Corps.
On enlistment, residence given as Ewhurst, Killed in Action, 23/04/1917 during the Battle of Arras, specifically the attack on La Coulotte. Commemorated on the
ARRAS MEMORIAL to the Missing, France.
James WORSFOLD
Rifleman, 9102
1st Bn Royal Irish Rifles Born Ewhurst, 1886 (Cranleigh on Soldiers Died In the Great War). Brother of Private Wallace Worsfold.
1901 Census, living at New Scotland, Albury. 1911 Census, serving overseas (Alexander Barracks, Maymyo, Burma) with 1st Bn R. Irish Rifles.
Residence Guildford, enlisted Aldershot. Landed in France 06/11/1914. Killed in Action 10/03/1915 at the Battle of Neuve Chapelle, aged 28.
No known grave but commemorated on the 
LE TOURET MEMORIAL, France, and the Shere Village War Memorial Plaque (Surrey)
Wallace WORSFOLD
Private, G/7193
11th Bn Queen's (RWSR) Born Ewhurst, 1896. Son of Walter & Emily Worsfold of 3 Church Cottages, Shere. 1901 Census, living at New Scotland, Albury.
Brother of Rifleman James Worsfold. Enlisted Guildford 11/12/1915. Address, The Elms, Shere. Embarked Southampton 03/05/1916, disembarked Havre 05/05/1916. Wounded in Action, gunshot wound to right shoulder 11/09/1916. To England from hospital at Etaples on 14/09/1916.
Returned to France 10/12/1916, joined 8th Bn Queens RWSR in the field on 14/12/1916. Transferred to England 14/04/1917. Posted to 11th Bn Queens RWSR 18/09/1917, joined them in the field the following day. To Italy 24/11/1917. Admitted to 39 Casualty Clearing Station with pleurisy on 06/12/1917. Transferred to 38 Stationary Hospital, Genoa, Italy on 12/12/1917 and died of pleurisy on  30/01/1918, aged 22. Buried in the
STAGLIENO CEMETERY, GENOA.(I.A.18). (Personal Records Online)
Commemorated on the Shere Village War Memorial Plaque (Surrey).

Also known to have been living in Ewhurst at the start of the First World War, but omitted from the Parish War Memorials:

Henry James CHARMAN
Henry, known as Harry (c1901), was born in Abinger and had his birth registered in Dorking in 1892. He was the son of Frank and Elizabeth Charman. In 1901 the family were resident in Forest Green, and Harry was mentioned as a resident of Ewhurst in the 1914 Electoral Roll, when he lived in Mascalls. It is likely that at this time he was a reserve soldier and joined his unit at Bulford with the commencement of the war, landing in France on 19th August 1914. He served initially as Gunner 70295 with the 42nd Brigade Royal Field Artillery of the 3rd Division. Harry was promoted to Corporal and was Mentioned in Despatches in the 22nd June 1915 issue of the London Gazette. On 26th July 1916, whilst participating in the Battle of the Somme, Harry was killed. At this time his Division was involved in the Battle of Delville Wood. Harry has no known grave and is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission records that his parents, Frank and Elizabeth, lived in Sunnyside, Cranleigh Road, Ewhurst, Surrey.

Top of Page

AEB 25/03/06


Renovation of the Ewhurst War Memorial

The Unveiling & Dedication of the Ewhurst War Memorial, 7th November 1920
(Photo Courtesy of Nigel Balchin)

Following an offer of voluntary work and donation to the Ewhurst Parish Council by Cliff Palmer and Andy Bailey, September and October 2006 has seen the Ewhurst War Memorial cleaned and the lettering re-enamelled. It was also agreed that the box hedging to the base of the memorial, which in recent years has become rather dilapidated and obscured many of the names at the base of the memorial be removed and replaced with Derbyshire Grey stone chips, in fitting with the granite cross. This is a return to the presentation of the memorial at the time of its unveiling. All works were completed in time for the 2006 Remembrance Sunday Service, which is traditionally conducted on the Mount in front of the memorial.

The correction of various mistakes included in the entries on the memorial was considered, but it was felt that as the mistakes are now documented as an amendment to the Book of Remembrance held within the Church of St Peter & St Paul, these errors actually created a degree of historical interest. Similarly, it was felt that the work involved would look out of place with the original lead lettering.

Top of Page

AEB 25/10/06

 

 

 

Andrew Bailey, Ewhurst, Surrey
andy@ewhurstfallen.co.uk
Copyright©2005