The Fallen of Ewhurst and Ellen's Green, Surrey  
Home Site Map

The Queen's 
(Royal West Surrey) Regiment
Roll of Honour & Chapel, Holy Trinity Church, Guildford


 

 

 

The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment was Ewhurst's 'local' regiment, therefore many of the village men who served during the First World War served with this Regiment.

The Regiment was initially raised as the Queen's Royal Regiment in 1661. It became the Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment on 1st July 1881, and this was its first real link with the county of Surrey. From 1876 until 1959 its depot was Stoughton Barracks in Guildford, and the Regiment held a strong connection with the Holy Trinity Church in Guildford.

Website of the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment


Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment War Memorial, holding the Book of Remembrance.

The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment War Memorial is located in the north wall of Holy Trinity Church, Guildford. Completed in 1921 and dedicated on 4th June, 1921, the Memorial is comprised of a central niche, containing a bronze and glass casket in which is contained the Book of Remembrance which lists the 8000 men of all ranks who gave their lives during the First World War (it does not include those ho died of their injuries subsequently). Flanking the niche are two oak Corinthian columns supporting the regimental badge, a Paschal Lamb. Outbard of the columns the oak panelling details the Battle Honours of the Regiment. Beneath the casket is the inscription;

TO THE GLORIOUS MEMORY OF 8,000 OFFICERS, WARRANT OFFICERS, NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS, AND MEN OF THE QUEEN'S WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN FLANDERS, FRANCE, ITALY, GALLIPOLI, SALONIKA, MESOPOTAMIA, PALESTINE, EGYPT, INDIA, AFRICA, AND IN GERMANY 1914-1919
THE MEMORIAL IS ERECTED BY THEIR RELATIVES, COMRADES, AND FRIENDS.


Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment Memorial Chapel


Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment Roll of Honour  for the Officers Killed or Died of Wounds in
The Great War, located in the Memorial Chapel

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

Andrew Bailey, Ewhurst, Surrey
andy@ewhurstfallen.co.uk
Copyrightę2005